Douglas, Agua Prieta may go it alone on new crossing

2013-07-14T00:00:00Z 2013-07-15T09:54:15Z Douglas, Agua Prieta may go it alone on new crossingPerla Trevizo Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
July 14, 2013 12:00 am  • 

By Perla Trevizo

Arizona Daily Star

DOUGLAS — Waiting hours to go through the port of entry is not only an issue for those coming north. Lines can be as long — or longer — heading south.

The congestion in Douglas has gotten so bad with oversize trucks and private vehicles using the same two lanes to leave the United States, that local officials and business leaders from both sides of the border came up with a plan to build a new commercial port of entry about four miles west of the downtown location. They plan to pay for it with private money if federal funding is not available.

“If Douglas is going to grow, we need a new port of entry,” said Carlos De La Torre, Douglas city manager.

The current port of entry was built in 1933 and last expanded 20 years ago. It has has limited space for commercial trucks and, as the mining and power industries pick up in neighboring Sonora, traffic is increasing. Last year, the city of Douglas paved a new road, Third Street, to reroute passenger vehicles that blocked the commercial district on Pan American Avenue and Fifth Street.

In the last decade, the number of commercial trucks coming through has increased 30 percent to about 32,000. The number of pedestrians has also nearly doubled to 1.1 million.

But private vehicle traffic has decreased significantly since the 9/11 terrorists attacks because of long lines and increased difficulty getting a visa to come to the U.S.

Douglas has the second largest commercial port in the state with more than $1 billion in trade a year.

A new port is an opportunity to stimulate the economy and create jobs in a community with a 9-percent unemployment rate, said Danny Ortega, the city’s mayor. It will also benefit Agua Prieta, said Oscar De La Torre Amezcua, the Mexico consul in Douglas, “a rise in crossings leads to a higher demand for services such as diesel for the trucks, lodging and food.”

The idea of building a new port is not new.

The General Services Administration, an independent government agency, did a feasibility study in 2007 to figure out what needed to be done for the port to meet U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s needs. But the plan is on hold since 2011 when Mexico concluded the inspection facility in Agua Prieta cannot be expanded to accommodate projected truck traffic.

Douglas and Agua Prieta are down to two possible sites for the project.

But with sequestration and restricted budgets there's no federal money available, city officials said, and they don't want to wait. The cities are considering a private-public partnership to fund construction, estimated at $15 million to $30 million.

The Douglas port needs to be upgraded to handle more commercial traffic, said Rep. Ron Barber, an Arizona Democrat whose district includes Douglas.

But he doesn’t want local officials to give up entirely on getting funding from the federal government.

The border should be primarily the responsibility of the federal government, said Rep. Raúl Grijalva.

“While I appreciate the public-private combination, we still have the fundamental issue that these are investments long overdue that haven’t been dealt with,” he said.

Some improvements are already underway at the port to help speed up the flow of traffic.

A second southbound lane was added about four months ago. And on Aug. 1, the port will open its first SENTRI lane — a dedicated fast lane for travelers who undergo thorough background checks.

Which is a step in the right direction, experts say.

Expanding enrollment in trusted shipper and traveler programs, such as SENTRI, don’t require a lot of investment and can improve operations at the ports while strengthening security by giving officers more time to focus on potentially dangerous people and shipments, authors of The State of the Border report wrote.

Douglas has $500,000 for planning and permitting, and officials are researching ways the project can pay for itself, including tolls. Construction is estimated to be completed in five years.

The plan is to build a port that can grow in stages as demand increases, City Manager De La Torre said, "We want to make sure it makes sense economically."

Contact reporter Perla Trevizo at ptrevizo@azstarnet.com or at 573-4213. On Twitter: @Perla_Trevizo

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Activate

Latest Video

More videos

Watch Arizona Stadium fill up in time lapse

Check out UA football stadium fill up in 3 minutes before first game.


Follow the Arizona Daily Star

Most Popular

Featured businesses

View more...

Deals, offers & events

View more...