Relocation to a new city often involves cost-of-living considerations. Therefore, when considering a job and scenery change, it's not a bad idea to first check out how your current salary would fare in a new city.
A number of user-friendly cost-of-living calculators on the Web can help you figure out your salary needs in a new location:
• Best Places: A simple look at how your current salary measures up in a new town. www.bestplaces.net/col/
• Bankrate.com: Calculate relocation equivalents and expenses in dozens of categories, from home and rent price to different foods and services. www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx
• CityRating.com: Calculates the cost of living in two states based on your current income. www.cityrating.com/costofliving.asp
• PayScale: Looks at cost-of-living calculations between U.S. cities with graphs that chart increases or reductions in specific services. www.payscale.com/cost-of-living-calculator
• Salary.com: Explore cost-of-living differences based on old and new home and work locations, with brief analysis details about the move. swz.salary.com/CostOfLivingWizard/layoutscripts/coll_start.asp