4 eateries fail, then pass, health inspections

2013-02-17T00:00:00Z 4 eateries fail, then pass, health inspectionsPatty Machelor Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
February 17, 2013 12:00 am  • 

Four local eateries failed health inspections in January:

• Micha's, 2908 S. Fourth Ave.

• Dragon Village Restaurant, 12152 N. Rancho Vistoso No. 180.

• Taqueria El Bamori, 5810 S. Woodcrest Drive.

• J.V. Tacos y Hot Dogs, 1070 E. Ginter Road No. 16; parks at East Bilby Road and South Euclid Avenue.

All have since passed reinspection.

Restaurants are inspected twice a year and given provisional licenses if they fail; when that happens, they are reinspected about every 10 days until they pass and are inspected again about 60 days afterward, according to Pima County protocol.

MICHA'S

2908 S. Fourth Ave.

Failed an inspection Jan. 28 and passed reinspection Feb. 7.

Management's response: Did not respond to the Star's messages seeking comment.

Critical violations

• Food was not stored at cool enough temperatures, including ham and sausage.

• Employee beverages were being stored on shelves over the food prep area.

• Raw beef in the walk-in was dripping blood onto cabbage and celery stored below it.

• Bins of clean utensils and clean food pans were stacked on a wet, dirty floor in the dish area.

• The tip of a can opener was caked with black grime.

• Some beef and chicken tamales were past the expiration date.

• Ham, corn dogs, chile rellenos and tamales were not labeled with expiration dates.

• Mouse droppings were seen on the floor in a storage room and under a cabinet in the wait area.

DRAGON VILLAGE RESTAURANT

12152 N. Rancho Vistoso No. 180

Failed an inspection on Jan. 28 and passed reinspection Feb. 7.

Management's response: "We had an individual causing problems, and we had to let him go," said the restaurant owner, Fred Severance. Severance said once the employee was fired, the restaurant was able to easily correct its problems.

Critical violations

• A large container of cooked chicken was held at room temperature on the bottom shelf of the cook line.

• Cracked raw eggs were sitting out at room temperature.

• Imitation crab, cooked chicken, raw shrimp and cooked beef were not being kept at cool enough storage temperatures.

• An employee was observed cutting raw chicken and then, without washing his hands, touching a clean bowl.

• An employee peeled ginger and then put it on the same cutting board just used to cut raw chicken.

• Cooked chicken was not marked with an expiration date.

TAQUERIA EL BAMORI

5810 S. Woodcrest Drive.

Failed an inspection Jan. 17 and passed reinspection Jan. 28.

Management's response: Declined to comment.

Critical violations

• Food was not stored at cool enough temperatures, including uncooked beef.

• Items were not properly date-marked with discard dates, including cooked chorizo and cooked chicken.

• A cutting board was excessively scored with knife marks and food was ground into the grooves.

• Knives and utensils were encrusted with dried food and were sitting on dusty shelving.

• Knives and utensils had been used for five hours without washing.

• Inadequate access to hot and cold running water.

• The person in charge during the inspection did not have adequate food safety knowledge.

JV TACOS Y HOT DOGS

1070 E. Ginter Road No. 16; parks at East Bilby Road and South Euclid Avenue.

Failed an inspection Jan. 10 and passed reinspection Jan. 23.

Management's response: Did not respond to messages.

Critical violations

• Cooked food was not held at hot enough temperatures including bacon-wrapped hot dogs.

• Food was not being stored at cool enough temperatures including raw bacon-wrapped hot dogs, raw pork and cooked chicken.

• An employee did not wash his or her hands before putting on food preparation gloves.

• Knives, tongs and other utensils were soiled and were kept in a soiled container.

• Operator was selling beans and beef prepared at a private residence to the public, which is not permitted.

• Excessive grease and grime buildup were observed along the cook line.

• The person in charge during inspection did not have adequate food safety knowledge.

Compiled from Pima County Health Department records.

Contact reporter Patty Machelor at pmachelor@azstarnet.com or 806-7754.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most Popular

Deals, offers & events

View more...