- Supplementing a gift from the Angel Charity for Children foundation, a team of local volunteers assisted the Catalina Council of Boy Scouts of America constructing 120 Adirondacks at Camp Lawton on Mount Lemmon. The Adirondacks are permanent tents for the scouts to be used year-round. Volunteer labor was supplied by local council board members, Scout leaders, local Rotary Clubs and the Southern Arizona Home Builders Association Custom Builders Council.
- More than 40 business and civic leaders from the Tucson area, as well as “local goodwill ambassadors” for the Muscular Dystrophy Association, will be “arrested” and put behind bars as their friends and business associates will post “bail” to get them released. The fundraiser for the MDA will be held Thursday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Playground Bar and Lounge, 278 E. Congress St.
- Ronald McDonald and staff members from the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Southern Arizona visited Tucson International Airport last week to show gratitude to Southwest Airlines and its employees, who have been mission partners for 30 years. Through their “Share the Spirit” initiative, Southwest’s volunteer efforts provide meals to guest families at the Ronald McDonald House and the company donates airline tickets each year that can be used by families who need to travel to Tucson for medical care.
- For the fifth consecutive year, Tucson Federal Credit Union provided $45,000 in Community Partnership Awards to local nonprofit organizations, selected for community impact and their dedication to TFCU’s philosophy of paying it forward. This year’s winners are Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tucson, Girl Scouts of Southern Arizona and Tu Nidito.
- The Tucson Chapter of Chicks N Chaps Women’s Rodeo Clinic, held in February during the 90th Annual Fiesta de los Vaqueros Tucson Rodeo, raised $5,900 to benefit breast cancer research at the University of Arizona Cancer Center, the group announce. A volunteer committee chaired by
- , a local writer, hosted the Chicks N Chaps event. Sponsors included Wrangler; Creative Catering;
- , Leader Discovery; GML PLLC; Speedpro Graphics and Aztec Printing.
Submit items about charitable giving by local businesses, businesspeople and nonprofits to email@example.com; please use Giving Back in the email subject line and include photos in jpeg format.