The Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa has just finished remodeling its five pools, part of the resort's overall $30 million rejuvenation under new owners.
The thought of a cool splish-splash is just one of the reasons to consider a "staycation" this summer at any of Tucson's many premier resorts.
And, as you celebrate Mom today, you might want to start planning a local getaway to surprise her in the next few months. She deserves more than one day in her honor, right?
If you choose La Paloma, you'll find that the swim-up bar has been spiffed up and the 177-foot water slide remains ready for "Slidewinder races." There's also much faster Wi-Fi in the pools area to speed up food orders, for instance, says spokeswoman Kimberly Schmitz.
This follows the guest-room renovations that were finished in March. Rooms were gutted and redone at a cost of more than $20,000 per room, she says.
About all that remains to be done before the full project is completed in October is to remodel the reception and lobby areas and the Azul restaurant patio.
Here are details on some summer promotions at Tucson's resorts:
• Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, 3800 E. Sunrise Drive. Nightly rates cost $99 for standard guest-room reservations for stays between May 19 and Sept. 7. Guests receive a complimentary Passport to Savings booklet with vouchers for more than $200 in discounts for resort amenities.
Contact www.westinlapalomaresort.com or 742-6000.
• Hilton El Conquistador Golf and Tennis Resort, 10000 N. Oracle Road. Rates starting at $89 for standard room. Does not include tax or $20 resort fee. May 24 through Sept. 2. Summer Edu-tainment family activities such as dive-in movies, stargazing and pool games take place during this time. Most activities are free, but some require a small fee.
Contact: www.hiltonelconquistador.com or 544-5000.
• JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and Spa, 3800 W. Starr Pass Blvd. Rediscover Summer rate starting at $179 per night through Sept. 30. Package includes a $100 resort credit each day.
Contact: www.jwmarriottstarrpass.com or call 792-3500.
• Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, 7000 N. Resort Drive. Advance Summer Sale rates are $89 for a standard room if reserved by May 31. Stay by Aug. 31. Subject to availability. Memorial Day sold out. Guests can participate in Wild Side of Summer activities, which include native-animal presentations by the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, games and live music, stargazing on the weekends and summer jazz series on holiday weekends.
Contact: www.loewshotels.com or 299-2020.
• The Omni Tucson National Resort, 2727 W. Club Drive. Discount of 10 percent on one night, 20 percent on two nights or 30 percent on three-night stays. Summer specials run from May 24 to Sept. 15.
Contact: www.tucsonnational.com or call 297-2271.
• Miraval Arizona Resort and Spa, 5000 E. Via Estancia Miraval. Book an all-inclusive package for two for three nights or more and get an extra $500 resort credit to be used on spa services. Summer sale is valid for stays June 1 through Sept. 15.
Contact: miravalresorts.com or call 1-800-232-3969.
• Canyon Ranch Resort, 8600 E. Rockcliff Road. Get 20 percent off on a two-night stay June 16 through Sept. 15. Discounted summer prices start at $1,304 per person based on double occupancy. Mention "Arizona Resident" when making reservations to get the special.
Contact: canyonranch/tucson or call 1-800-742-9000.
• Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, 5501 N. Hacienda del Sol Road. Summer rates start at $89 and include a $100 dining credit per night. Summer rates valid June 3 through Sept. 13.
Contact:haciendadelsol.com or call 299-1501
• Arizona Inn, 2200 E. Elm St. Two-night Getaway Package starting at $449. Package includes breakfast for two each morning, one three-course dinner, ice cream sundaes poolside each evening and a fresh fruit basket and bottle of wine in the room. Summer special is valid May 19 through mid-September.
Contact: arizonainn.com or call 325-1541.
• The Ritz-Carlton Dove Mountain, 15000 N. Secret Springs Drive, Marana. The Summer Returns Package rates start at $199 per night on weekdays and $229 on weekends. Included in the package are luxury accommodations and a $50 daily resort credit.
Contact: www.ritzcarlton.com/dovemountain or call 572-3000.
• Westward Look Resort & Spa, 245 E. Ina Road. Tropical Escape rates are $119 per night with no resort fee; comes with a $25 food and beverage credit. Or stay for $99 per night, no resort fee, no resort credit. May 19 through Sept. 6.
Contact: westwardlook .com or call 297-1151.
DID YOU KNOW?
Southwest Value Partners, an investors group led by the majority owner of the Phoenix Suns, acquired the La Paloma resort, which was in bankruptcy, in January 2012, and launched the renovations.
Contact reporter Angela Pittenger at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-4137.