Seven books that were banned after the elimination of Mexican American Studies may be making their way back into TUSD classrooms.
The books were approved as supplementary materials by the Governing Board 3-2 Tuesday night. Mark Stegeman and Michael Hicks were the dissenting votes.
• “Critical Race Theory” by Richard Delgado
• “500 Years of Chicano History in Pictures” edited by Elizabeth Martinez
• “Message to Aztlan” by Rodolfo “Corky” Gonzales
• “Chicano! The History of the Mexican American Civil Rights Movement” by Arturo Rosales
• “Occupied America: A History of Chicanos” by Rodolfo Acuña
• “Pedagogy of the Oppressed” by Paulo Freire
• “Rethinking Columbus: The Next 500 Years” by Bill Bigelow.