Here’s what you need to know about claiming a tax credit for a donation to public or charter schools.

  • Arizona taxpayers can claim a credit for donations of up to $400 for a married couple filing jointly or up to $200 for all other filers. Donations can be made to any Arizona public school or charter school for support of extracurricular activities, character education programs, preparation courses, materials, fees for standardized testing for college credit or readiness, and contributions to support career and technical education certifications.
  • Qualifying donations can be paid to a school for the benefit of your child’s participation in a particular activity. Fees must be for the exact amount of the activity, and the activity may have a monetary charge in order to participate.
  • Donations also can be paid to a central fund at the school that funds extracurricular activities for all students.
  • Checks must be made out to the indivi
  • dual school and the school should provide a receipt.
  • Donations to public and charter schools must be made by April 18, 2017. Donations made between Jan. 1 and April 18, 2017, can be claimed on your 2016 or 2017 tax returns.
  • Use Form 322 to claim a tax credit for contributions to a public school, including charter schools.