A former grocery store is being transformed into a luxury movie theater.
Galaxy Theatres has leased the 50,000-square-foot space previously occupied by Bashas’ on the southwest corner of Broadway and Houghton Road, in the Montesa Plaza.
A $1.6 million building permit was issued for the construction of the theater, which features reclining lounge chairs and an expanded concessions menu.
The theater is expected to open by mid-2018.
Galaxy has 12 locations in California, Nevada, Texas, Washington and Arizona.
The farthest east-side movie theater for new movies now is Park Place.
Other construction activity around town includes:
- A shell warehouse at the Tucson Airport Commerce Center, 2850 E. Drexel Road, received a $14 million permit for the 400,000-square-foot space.
- An $8 million permit was issued for construction of a 63,000-square-foot Hampton Inn at 6300 W. Marana Center Blvd.
- National Self Storage is building more than 86,000 square feet of units for $7.4 million at 12071 N. Thornydale Road.
- Mira Vista Resort is adding 14 units at 7525 N. Wade Road with a $2.7 million building permit.
- Hobby Lobby is under construction at 6484 N. Oracle Road. The $2.5 million permit is for a 55,500-square-foot store.
- A $1.3 million permit was issued to build a 21,000-square-foot industrial building for Atlas Copco at 6393 S. Campbell Ave.
- US Golf got a $1.2 million permit for barrier netting at 4050 W. Costco Place.
- TMM Family Services Inc. is building a 10-unit transitional housing duplex at 3131 E. Lee St. The permit for the 8,900-square-foot homes was for $1 million.
- Playground is fixing up the 12,000-square-foot space with a $900,000 tenant-improvement permit at 278 E. Congress St.
- The shopping center under construction on Irvington Road and Interstate 19, called The Landing, got a $738,000 permit to build a 5,500-square-foot restaurant for Oregano’s.