Plans for the 2013-14 theater season are starting to trickle in, and it looks like a tasty one is shaping up.
Christopher Johnson, who this season has served as co-artistic director of Winding Road Theatre Ensemble, has been bumped up to artistic director, and he's scheduled a hefty season with plays such as "Cabaret" and Lanford Wilson's "Burn This."
The Rogue Theatre has dubbed 2013-14 "the season of lust" and will include Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure" and "Dante's Purgatorio" by Tucsonan Patrick Baliani in its offerings.
Arizona Repertory Theatre is going all sweet on us with the delicious musical "Fantasticks" and dark on us with Tennessee Williams' powerful drama, "The Glass Menagerie."
Here's what's been announced thus far (check out Arizona Theatre Company's upcoming season at bit.ly/WlapWd) :
Winding Road Theatre Ensemble
• "The Altruists" - June 13-30. A black comedy by Nicky Silver.
• "Good People" - Aug. 29-Sept. 15. David Lindsay-Abaire's story of a south Boston family's struggles to survive.
• "Cabaret" - Nov. 28-Dec. 15. Kander and Ebb's classic musical takes place in Berlin on the brink of World War II.
• "Boom" - Jan. 30-Feb. 16. A doomsday comedy by Peter Sinn Nachtrieb. It is playing with ...
• "Gruesome Playground Injuries" by Rajiv Joseph. The play brings two childhood friends together.
• "Burn This" - March 27-April 13, 2014. Lanford Wilson's play about four New Yorkers' attempts to come to terms with tragedy.
Season tickets: $70-$90, with discounts available for purchases before June 1. 401-3626 or windingroadtheater.org
The Rogue Theatre
• "Mistake of the Goddess" (Hayavadana) - Sept. 12-29. Two men in love with the same woman behead themselves and the goddess Kali puts them back together, switching the heads. By Girish Karnad.
• "Measure for Measure" - Nov. 7-24. Abuse of power, seduction, morality - they all figure into this Shakespeare. The Rogue is calling it a drama; others call it comedy. Expect both.
• "Arcadia" - Jan. 9-26. Tom Stoppard's complex and compelling play jumps between centuries and characters.
• "Betrayal" - Feb. 27-March 16, 2014. Betrayal and lies are at the heart of this Harold Pinter play about a love affair and its impact on those involved.
• "Dante's Purgatorio" - April 24-May 11, 2014. Tucsonan Patrick Baliani reimagines Dante's journey through seven layers of sin.
Season tickets: $145, 551-2053 or theroguetheatre.org
Arizona Repertory Theatre
• "Boeing-Boeing!" - Sept. 22-Oct. 13. Marc Camoletti's farce about a swinging bachelor in the 1960s who has trouble juggling all his lovers when Boeing introduces a faster jet.
• "The Fantasticks" - Oct. 20-Nov. 10. A musical about young love and the efforts of two fathers to hinder - or maybe help - it. By Harvey Schmidt and Tom Jones.
• "The Man Who Came to Dinner" - Nov. 10-24. A broken hip leads to an unpleasant houseguest and much hilarity in this comedy by George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart.
• "The Glass Menagerie" - Feb. 9-March 2. Tennessee Williams' classic memory play/family drama.
• "Oklahoma!" - March 9-April 6, 2014. The groundbreaking musical by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein.
• "A Midsummer Night's Dream" - April 13-May 4. William Shakespeare's romantic comedy about frustrated lovers and fairies in the woods.
Season tickets: $88-$142. 621-1162