Arizona Rose Theatre is takin' it to the park. • The family-run theater company has spent all of its 24 years performing original musicals in enclosed theater spaces. • "We wanted to try something new," said Rose's managing director, Brandon Howell. "We knew Shakespeare in the Park had been around, and we thought, 'What about Theater in the Park?' " • Don't all great ideas start that way?
Theater in the Park will be musical magic, with each of the three events filled with Broadway show tunes.
The first one - a celebration of Broadway fairy tales - will be launched Saturday at Crossroads at Silverbell Park in Marana.
Rose has put together a production that celebrates some of the great tunes from musicals based on children's tales, including songs from "Mary Poppins," "Peter Pan," "Wicked" and "Shrek."
"It will be a fast-paced, high-energy, colorful, family-friendly exploration of Broadway shows," said Howell.
Of course, mounting a show like this - complete with choreography and costumes - isn't easy. Join us as we take you on a pictorial journey of the road to Rose Theatre's first outdoor production.
If you go
• Theater in the Park: A Celebration of Broadway fairy tales.
• Presented by: Arizona Rose Theatre Company and the Town of Marana.
• When: 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
• Where: Crossroads at Silverbell Park, 7548 N. Silverbell Road.
• Cost: Free.
• Information: 888-0509.
• Bring: A blanket, a picnic and a determination to have a good time (no glass containers or alcohol).
• Upcoming Theater in the Park performances from Rose at the Crossroads at Silverbell Park:
Broadway Classics, 7:30 p.m. July 24; Broadway Cinema, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 21
On StarNet: An audio slide show of the Rose as it prepares for its first Broadway in the Park show: azstarnet.com/photo