Abracadabra! Evening of magic appears
Tucson’s magic couple, John Shryock and Mari Lynn, are teaming up with comic magic man Norm Marini for an evening of hillarious trickery and illusion.
The trio will play a show Tuesday at Oro Valley’s Great American Playhouse, 13005 N. Oracle Road, in the Walgreens Shopping Center at Oracle and Rancho Vistoso Boulevard, as part of Marini’s “It’s Magic” series.
This is the first magic show at Great American Playhouse, the melodrama theater that opened last August in Oro Valley.
For years “It’s Magic” has played monthly events at Gaslight Theatre, showcasing local magicians. Tickets are $16 adults, $8 kids at the door or by reserving in advance at 512-5145
Tickets on sale for Mencia, Rock band War
Two new shows are headed to Desert Diamond Casino’s Diamond Entertainment Center:
- Comedian Carlos Mencia returns for his first Tucson show in four years.. Tickets — starting at $30 — are on sale now for his 18-and-older Aug. 23 show.
- Funk-rockers War are in the Diamond Center Sept. 6. Tickets start at $25.
Also coming to Desert Diamond:
- Pop-country superstar Kenny Rogers at 8:30 p.m. today.
- Pink Floyd Laser Spectacular tribute Aug. 9.
- Super Diamond Neil Diamond tribute, Aug. 30.
- Country husband-and-wife duo Thompson Square, Sept. 19.
Order tickets online at startickets.com or at the Desert Diamond Casino Box Office, 1100 W. Pima Mine Road.
‘Guitar Gods’ festival making Tucson stop
If you bow down to the gods of guitar, you will want to be at the Rialto Theatre Tuesday for the “Guitar Gods” festival tour show.
Here’s the scoop: Swedish heavy metal guitar virtuoso Yngwie Malmsteen, king of the neo-classical shredders, leads the lineup with surf rocker Gary Hoey and Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal of Guns N’ Roses fame for what’s advertised as an epic celebration of the guitar and all its grinding, gripping, thrashing and crashing glory.
Tuesday’s all-ages show starts at 7:30 p.m. at the Rialto, 318 E. Congress St.
Tickets are $24-$41 through rialtotheatre.com
Also this week at the Rialto:
• Reggae-rapper K-Bass and Farafina Musiki at 8 p.m. Saturday; $5 at the door.