Last year, Zona 78 put its Italian-inspired menu on the back burner and transformed its restaurant into a fine-dining experiment for 48 hours.
The restaurant’s experiment, dubbed “Our Table,” was a success and created a lot of excitement.
So Executive Chef Kevin Fink decided to do it again, this time showcasing Southern Arizona farmers, ranchers and artisans in a 48-hour pop-up restaurant called “Seed and Sow.”
The event will be from 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday at Zona 78, 7301 E. Tanque Verde Road.
Fink curated the menu, with 100 percent of it sourced locally including raising pigs, having Sleeping Frog grow specific crops and using Blue Beard Durum grown by Phoenix-based Hayden Flour Mills using heritage or ancient grains. This is the first time the durum will be used commercially, according to a written release.
“This dinner is much more flavored from items unique to the old pueblo. The goal is to connect Tusconans with these artisans so they know they exist and can search out their product,” Fink said in a written statement.
Fink said he hopes that the dinner’s sweeping mission will be to encourage more people to support the local food producers. He also hinted that this is the first of what he hopes will be an annual event.
The dinner will consist of small plates priced between $9 and $18 and a few entrees. A five-course option is $60.. The menu includes:
• Salt Roasted Crooked Sky Sweet Potatoes with Fresh Chevre from Fiore di Capra, Wild Greens from Sleeping Frog Farms and Local Watercress and Beet Greens — $10.
• Creosote Panna Cotta, Wild Juniper Rye Crumb, Sleeping Frog Farm Roasted Beets, EVOO Poached Local Fennel, Beet Agrodolce, Zona 78 Garden’s Thai Basil — $11.
• Hayden Mills Farro Mafalda, Five Sons Lamb, Garden Mint, Walking J Pickled Onions and Sleeping Frog Fava Beans — $16.
• Five Sons and E & R Pork Chicharones. Lime Zest, Vinegar Powder, Chiltepin Dust — $9.
• Wild Yeast Sourdough Beignets: Crispy Local Kale Chip, Candied Ajo Rojo Garlic Chip, Seared Kale Dust — $14.
• Rotolo of San Rafael Beef made from White Sonoran Wheat with Wild Desert Herbs Sauce, Walking J Zinnia Flowers and Onion Petals, Native Seed Chili Vinegar — $18.
• Noel Patterson’s Beeswax, Fior di Capra Cave Aged Goat, Brioche of Sonoran White Wheat, Fiore di Capra Brown Butter, Roasted Local Nuts, Garden Oxalis — $13.
• Desert Kimchi, Roasted Local Berkshire Pork, Other Stuff — $16.
• Arizona Ramen: Fermented Maggie’s Mushrooms, Five Sons Farm Perfect Egg, Red Waddle Pork Belly, Pickled Maggie’s Mushrooms, Pickled Local Vegetables, Local Pork Broth, Blue Beard Durum Noodles — $16.
• Blue Beard Durum Pappardelle: Walking J Cherry Tomatoes, Ajo Rojo Garlic, Sarah Farms Stracciatella, Garden Basil, Fiore di Capra Cultured Butter — $15.
• Arizona Antipasti: House cured Guanciale, Salami, Local Eggplant, Wilcox Apple Jam, Candied Local Nuts, Tucson Artisan Bread — $12.
• Hayden Mills Roasted Chickpeas, Raw Corn, Cilantro, Garden Thai Basil & Italian Basil, Fermented Local Tomatoes, 6 month aged Zona 78 Lardo — $13.
The pop-up restaurant also will feature a few entrees:
• San Rafael Valley Kansas City Strip, Hayden Mills Polenta, Mushrooms in Keeling Schaefer Wine, Wild Rosemary — $28.
• E & R Local Berkshire Pork Chop, Pickled Cherries, Geoff’s Mom’s Lemon Verbena & Thyme, Sleeping Frog Farm Georgia Southern Collard Greens, Whiskey Del Bac and Cherry Sauce — $26.
• Five Sons Farm Rack of Lamb or Porterhouse of Lamb, Confit of Crooked Sky Farm Eggplant, 12-Hour Tomatoes, Queen Creek Olives, Hayden Mills Chickpea and Parsley Puree — $28.
For more information, call 296-7878.