Friday the 13th saw a full moon this month, making it the front-runner for the most frightening day in June.
At least, so far. The Loft will give it a run for its money this Friday, when the theater brings back its All-Nite Scream-O-Rama with a 12-hour lineup of haunts, howls and horror. “It’s just kind of a fun celebration of horror,” said Jeff Yanc, program director of The Loft and host of the Scream-O-Rama. “If you’re scared of watching horror films at home, try it in a theater.”
13 horrifyingly awesome reasons you should go
1. After years of trying to obtain the rights to show the classic zombie film, “Dawn of the Dead,” Loft organizers have finally succeeded in bringing the brutal, 1978 George A. Romero masterpiece to their silver screen.
2. The Loft also secured a special unrated version of “The Burning” complete with “extra splatter,” according to Yanc.
3. “A Nightmare on Elm Street,” which will show at 11:10 p.m., is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. “One, two, Freddy’s coming for you …”
4. Other spectacles of horror on the schedule include “You’re Next,” “Body Melt,” “Grizzly,” and “The Funhouse.”
5. Scream-O-Rama has become a tradition. The first was held in 2006. “A lot of people look forward to it every year,” Yanc said. “We’ve never repeated a film in Scream-O-Rama.”
6. Your ticket gets you in-and-out of the theater all night. Some don’t leave until the last credit reel. “Sometimes you’ll look around and see people conked out in the theater,” Yanc said. “It is a long night.”
7. Afraid of being afraid? You’re not alone. Watching these films in a communal setting may help ease your nerves.
8. Pajamas, pillows and Snuggies are welcome and even encouraged. “We kind of promote it as an all-night slumber party,” Yanc said.
9. Liquid courage will be on tap. The Loft has several horror-themed drink specials, including a Bloody Larry, the theater’s take on a Bloody Mary.
10. Yanc will hold twisted trivia games between each film.
11. A breakfast buffet will be offered before the last movie.
12. Brave souls who survive the night will be immortalized in a group photo on stage after the festivities end.
13. Three words: souvenir barf bag.