The Franciscans began work on the mission at Tumacacori in 1800, but the bell tower was never finished. President Theodore Roosevelt proclaimed Tumacácori National Monument on 10 acres of land relinquished by local homesteader Carmen Mendez. Congress expanded the holdings in 1990 and the name was changed to Tumacácori National Historic Park. Go to tucson.com/parks for more on Arizona's National Parks and Monuments.