Located in Chinle, Ariz., in Apache County, the canyon has been inhabited for almost 5,000 years.
According to the National Park Service website, the name of Canyon de Chelly came about from the misspelling and mispronunciation of the Navajo word for the canyon, "Tseyo." The Navajos pronounce it 'say-ee.' For everyone else the word is now pronounced as 'de-shay.'
The Casa Grande Ruins are located in Coolidge, Ariz., in Pinal County.
The Casa Grande, or great house, is a four-story, 11-room structure built about 700 years ago. The ruins are believed to be what is left of structures built by the Hohokam people, an ancient Sonoran Desert culture, but their purpose is unknown.
This park is in Tumacácori, near Nogales, Ariz., in Santa Crus County.
Father Kino established Mission Tumacácori in 1691 and three missions were eventually in the area. Mission San José de Tumacácori replaced Mission San Cayetano de Tumacácori, the oldest mission. Mission Los Santos Ángeles de Guevavi was the second oldest.
This natural bridge is near Payson, Ariz., in Gila County.
This is believed to be the largest natural travertine bridge in the world. The valley and bridge were discovered in 1877 by prospector David Gowan as he was chased by Apaches. He eluded them and claimed squatter's rights on area.
This park is in Tubac, Ariz., in Santa Cruz County.
Tubac began as a small Piman village. The presidio was founded in June, 1752. When the garrison was moved to Tucson in 1776, most of the unprotected colonists left their homes in Tubac. The presidio was reactivated in 1787 and changed hands several times.
The prison was built by the first inmates who were locked in in 1876. In 1909, another prison was built. This one became a high school for a short time. One of the famous — or infamous — prisoners here was Pearl Hart.