Everyone knows that Tucson bursts with artists, art lovers and art supporters.
Certainly the Tucson Pima Arts Council does, and every year it sponsors the Lumie Awards, presented to those who make the art, and those who actively support it.
This year’s Lumies will be at 6:30 p.m. June 6 at the Tucson Museum of Art Plaza. There will be a reception, music, and a ceremony announcing the winners.
Tickets to the event are $35 (just $5 if you only want to catch the music, which starts at 8:30 p.m.). They are available at tucsonpimaartscouncil.org or 624-0595, Ext. 10.
The award categories and nominees:
Artistic Lifetime Achievement
- Julie Gallego, Folklorico dancer, choreographer and teacher.
- Visual artist Diana Madaras.
- Mime Rick Wamer.
- Kimi Eisele, artistic director of New ARTiculations Dance.
- Steven Eye, founder of Solar Culture.
- Actor David Johnston.
- Artist and architect Bill Mackey.
- Kevin Mills, exhibit director, Children’s Museum Tucson.
- Artist/teacher Catherine Nash.
- Ben Olmstead and Simon Donovan, who create public art.
- Author and children’s book illustrator Adam Rex.
- Musician and composer Fernando Romero.
- Visual artist Wil Taylor.
Established Arts Organization
- Ben’s Bells.
- The Drawing Studio.
- The Loft Cinema.
- The Rialto Theatre.
- Vocal teacher and composer Janice Jarrett.
- Kevin Johnson, theater teacher at Basis Tucson.
- Photographer Josh Schacter, one of the forces behind the Finding Voice Project at Catalina Magnet High School.
Arts Education Program
- Broadway Camp.
- Christian Youth Theater.
- The Tucson Philharmonia Youth Orchestra.
- Tucson Symphony Orchestra Education Program.
David Hoyt Johnson Arts Administrator
- Librarian Jennifer Nichols.
- Lynn Davis, director of arts and culture at the Tucson. Jewish Community Center.
- Loft Cinema’s Peggy Johnson.
- Karen Falkenstrom, Odaiko Sonora.
- Michael Kasser, Holualoa Companies.
- Jim Click, Jim Click Automotive.
- General Growth Properties.
- Northern Trust.
- Arizona Public Media.
- Randi Dorman, Museum of Contemporary Art Tucson.
- Stevie Mack, Crizmac founder.
Emerging Arts Organization
- Artifact Dance Project.
- Exploded View.
- Lonely Street Productions
- The Tucson Pastel Society.