Sometime in its seven years of existence, The Loft Cinema's childrens' film festival became a highly-anticipated annual tradition not only for the theater, but for Southern Arizona's youngest, most precocious film fans as well.
That's not to say that older, more experienced filmgoers can't enjoy this nine-day celebration of cinema, which changed its name this summer to the Loft Kids Fest. Click here to read the rest of the story.
Attend the Loft Kids Fest Kick Off At Trail Dust Town today at 5:30 p.m. Activities include: A screening of short film "The Adventures of Loop and Rhett," musical entertainment, face-painting, balloon animals and more. Where to go: The Savoy Opera House at Trail Dust Town is located at 6541 E. Tanque Verde Road.
The festival opens with "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," starring Gene Wilder, pictured above at 10 a.m. on Saturday at The Loft Cinema(3233 E. Speedway). Arrive early as seating is limited.
Cost: Free admission and free popcorn; all ages (children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult). More information: loftcinema.org, 795-0844.
- Sunday: "Matilda"; free books courtesy of the Friends of the Pima County Public Library.
- Monday: "The Point"; pre-show games and fun with Mildred and Dildred Toy Store.
- Tuesday: "The Painting"; a special painting activity hosted by Children's Museum Tucson.
- Wednesday: "The Land Before Time"; "Be a Paleontologist" with University of Arizona teacher and "dinosaur discoverer" Rich Thompson.
- Thursday: "A Town Called Panic"; Old West stunt performance with the Pinnacle Peak Pistoleros on the patio.
- Friday: Charlie Chaplin's "The Kid"; bonus short film and create-your-own mustache and hat with Mildred and Dildred Toy Store.
- Next Saturday: "Looney Tunes" on the big screen; free baby carrots courtesy of Whole Foods.
- Next Sunday: "Shrek"; free small Eegee's drinks while supplies last.