This weekend, local merchants are hoping shoppers skip the big box stores to celebrate Small Business Saturday instead.
Nearly three dozen downtown Tucson merchants are taking part in Small Business Saturday, celebrated on Nov. 25 this year.
“Events like (Small Business Saturday) are a great way to draw people downtown who might not normally frequent the area,” said Austin Davis, director of operations for Downtown Tucson Partnership. “People come to take advantage of promotions or just to check out the buzz, and end up sticking around for dinner or riding the street car to a new destination. Its focus on shopping local helps our small businesses make sales, which keeps money in the community rather than going to big box retailers.”
Some of the deals being offered Saturday include:
- 20 percent off storewide at A Perfect Pantry, 41 S. Sixth Ave.
- 10 percent off at Bandito, 236 S. Scott Ave.
- 10 percent off food items at Hub Restaurant & Ice Creamery, 266 E. Congress St., and Martin Drug Co., 300 E. Congress St.
- Free pearl and 14K gold earrings with $250 purchase at Krikawa Jewelry Designs Inc., 21 E. Congress St.
- Special can and keg release at Pueblo Vida Brewing Company, 115 E. Broadway
In addition to supporting local businesses and taking advantage of specials, free rides on the Sun Link Streetcar will be available all day starting at 8 a.m.
More than 150 shops, 100 restaurants and 30-plus bars and clubs are situated along the streetcar’s 3.9-mile route, which includes the University of Arizona, Main Gate Square, Fourth Avenue, downtown and Mercado San Agustin.
The free streetcar rides are sponsored by Main Gate Square, Fourth Avenue Merchants Association, Downtown Tucson Partnership, Local First Arizona, and Rio Nuevo.
Local First Arizona is also hosting a Super Small Business Saturday event from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Haggerty Plaza at 316 N. Fourth Ave. The superhero-themed event will feature activities for all ages as well as holiday shopping opportunities. Admission is $5, children under age 5 are free.