Makes: 16 stuffed egg halves
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced jalapenos (discarding seeds and ribs, if desired), divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons lime juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced white onion, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 very ripe Haas avocado, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- Ground black pepper
Place the eggs in a small saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring the water just to a boil, then remove the saucepan from the heat, cover it, and set it aside for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice and water and let cool completely.
While the eggs are cooking, in a colander toss the tomatoes with a hefty pinch of salt and let drain for 10 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the drained tomatoes with 1 teaspoon of the jalapenos, 2 teaspoons of the lime juice, 1 tablespoon of the onion and the cilantro. Toss well, then set aside.
Once the eggs have cooled, peel and halve them lengthwise. In a small bowl combine 6 of the yolks (discarding the remaining 2 or saving them for another use) with the avocado, mayonnaise and the remaining 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Mash with a potato masher or fork until the mixture is smooth with a few lumps.
Stir in the remaining onion and jalapeno, add salt and pepper to taste. Mound the egg-avocado mixture into the egg whites and top each one with some of the salsa.
Per half: 60 calories; 35 calories from fat (58 percent of total calories); 4 g fat (1 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 90 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 1 g sugar; 3 g protein; 100 mg sodium.