If you go
Chill Out at the Dog Days of Summer at La Plaza Shoppes
La Plaza Shoppes is going to the dogs Friday, Aug. 15, with the center’s Dog Days of Summer celebration.
Learn the ways of bats and hummingbirds from local experts, enjoy tasty treats and music, paint a portrait of your dog, sip wine, explore dog and other animal art and more at this event, which benefits Pima Paws for Life.
The festivities are from 5 to 9 p.m. at La Plaza Shoppes, 6538 E. Tanque Verde Road.
Among the highlights:
· Lynn Hassler, author of “Hummingbirds of the American West,” will talk about the ways of the hummingbird in the Sonoran desert at Wild Birds Unlimited from 5 to 7 p.m. From 7 to 9 p.m., wildlife biologist Debbie Buecher will be on hand with live bats, sharing about their habitat, diet and the important role they play in the environment. Both events are free.
· Artist Chris Bubany will customize ceramic dog bone ornaments, with 25 percent of proceeds donated to Pima Paws for Life.
· A harpist will entertain at Reflected Light Gallery, with personalized dog tag necklaces available for purchase.
· Creative Juice Art Bar will host a drop-in “Paint Your Dog” painting session for $15 and serve new palettes of wine for $10, which includes four tastings. Fifteen percent of proceeds will be donated to Pima Paws for Life.
· Desert Artisans Gallery will display Doggone Good Art, their latest showing.
· Villa Feliz Flowers will present flowers grown by a Tucson farmer.
· Embellish will offer food tastings from one of their most popular cookbooks.
· Catalina Foothills Steel Drum Band will entertain throughout the evening.
Guests are encouraged to bring donations for Pima Paws for Life, which finds loving homes for animals with the goal of creating a no-kill Pima County. Go to www.pimapawsforlife.org for more information.
For more information on Dog Days of Summer, go to www.facebook.com/laplazashoppes or call (520) 271-5023.