A fire started by cooking oil that was left unattended destroyed the kitchen of an east-side condo Sunday afternoon. 

The owner of the condo in the 1600 block of North Wilmot Road, near East Pima Street, was warming up cooking oil to cook bacon when she went to a different part of the condo, Capt. Barrett Baker, a Tucson fire spokesman said in a news release. 

When the woman returned to the kitchen the stove are was on fire. 

She used baking soda to try to extinguish the fire but was unsuccessful, the release said. She got out of the apartment safely but inhaled a lot of smoke. 

A neighbor who saw smoke coming from the condo called 911 shortly before 1 p.m.

Firefighters extinguished the flames and the fire was under control within 18 minutes. 

The woman was assessed for minor smoke inhalation but did not want to be taken to the hospital. 

She is being assisted by the American Red Cross Southern Arizona Chapter. 

Comments disabled.