Tales from the Morgue presents news that happened 100 years ago today and was reported in the Star a day later.

The first must have been exciting news for the movers and shakers of Tucson, and perhaps for others who might see the possibility of employment.

The second was a request that those calling to report a fire offer their names. The fire department also requested that people who call give the location of the fire. Thus the fire department could arrive without waiting for smoke to be billowing out of the burning structure to pinpoint the location.

From the Arizona Daily Star, Tuesday, Jan. 14, 1914:


Messrs. Talcott and Donau Start Movement and Have Secrued an Expert to Select Suitable Site

Ground for golf links and a country club will be selected by William E. Watson of Los Angeles, who has been secured by Hugo Donau and Walt Talcott, prime movers in the project to give Tucson a golf course with a national reputation and who will arrive before Sunday.

The announcement of this new enterprise on the part of Messrs Donau and Talcott was made public Monday evening at the chamber of commerce dinner at the Santa Rita following the plea of William J. Bryan Jr. for more sports and entertainment and the crying need of a country club.

It was then announced that Mr. Donau and Mr. Talcott had been quietly planning to satisfy this need, and that Wm. Watson, an expert with a national reputation would actually be in the city Sunday to select the location.

The plans of the two men include the organization of a country club with a membership made up of the very best business and professional men of the city. The grounds will be laid out and the club house planned on the most generous scale possible, and the plan is to make Tucson a winter golf center, noted over the United States, just as Ormand, Fla., Pinehurst, N.C. and Palm Beach, Fla., are known.

Just as soon as Mr. Watson makes his report the plans of the two men will be developed, and they promise speedy action in the matter. The prospect of a new golf club will be most pleasing to sport enthusiasts who want to see a program of diversified sports and amusements thrive in the city.

And from the same paper:


Failure to Observe This Rule Caused Delay in Making Run Yesterday

Because she would not give her name when turning in a telephone alarm of fire, according to the statement of the telephone operator at the exchange, delay resulted yesterday at 6 o'clock in getting the department to the home of Mrs. L. Pecolate, Belnap and Driscoll streets, near the ice plant, when her gas engine exploded in the kitchen. There was no blaze, however, and the damage was slight.

When the stove exploded Mrs. Pecolate went to the phone and called up the central office. According to the rule the operator asked the woman her name, she states, and Mrs. Pecolate replied "It's none of your business." She refused to give anything but her telephone number.

The fire department made a quick run when the girl managed to get the fire located, but when they arrived they found that there had been no fire. The explosion had blown out two windows and one door. No one was in the room at the time. The house was of brick.

All persons who call up central to report a fire should follow the rule to give the location first, street and number if possible, and then give their own names. This rule has been adopted to guarantee the good faith of the party calling. Mrs. Pecolate afterwards called up and apologized to the operator, saying that she was excited when reporting the fire.

Well, doesn't that just make one pleased that we have enhanced service now, in which emergency services can tell from what address the call is placed? Police can arrive at your home before you even know your children have accidentally dialed 911.