Text of Father's Second Plea
for Return of Child
TO THE PERSON OR PERSONS HAVING JUNE
There are two reasons why I have not been able to comply with
all of your instructions and to make a contact. (1) I have worked
hard ever since your note was received, trying to raise the
$15,000, but I have been able to raise only $10,000, and it is
impossible for me to raise more. (2) The condition upon which I was
able to raise the $10,000 was that the money was not to be paid in
the manner which you have outlined in your instructions.
In view of the above reasons, you can understand and appreciate
the delay and my failure to contact you. I have had no way to let
you know how difficult my problem has been.
I did not have the full amount of the money demanded and I have
never been able to get the donors of the money to allow me to pay
the ransom in accordance with your instructions. In this
connection, I wish to state that the persons who have assisted me
in securing the $10,000 have emphatically stated that the money
must not be paid except upon the delivery of the child at the time
In view of this situation I request that you make a new contact
with me and that you suggest any plan agreeable to you for the
payment of the ransom and the safe return of June. The only
suggestion which I would like to make with regards to the person
whom you name as contact is that it be some individual who
personally knows my daughter. This for the reason that I want to be
sure at all times that I am dealing with the proper parties and not
subjecting myself to hi-jacking.
I want to assure you that I propose to deal with you fairly and
honestly and that there will be no double-crossing, no spies, no
officers and no betrayment. If you will immediately make a contact
and submit a satisfactory plan, I am ready to negotiate promptly
with you in accordance with the conditions above named.
I have the assurance of all interested law enforcement agencies
that I shall have a free hand in my negotiations with your contact
In order that I may not be interfered with in our negotiations
and that I may have our daughter returned to us as speedily as
possible, I am issuing the following appeal:
TO THE PEOPLE AND THE
NEWSPAPERS OF THE UNTED STATES:
For more than two weeks I have been trying, with every means at
my disposal, to locate our child and secure her safe return.
I have tried to the limit of my ability to meet every demand and
follow the instructions received, when given a chance to do so
To date I have received no positive assurance that she will be
I am not unmindful of the great interest shown by the mothers
and fathers of the country and appreciate deeply the sympathy that
actuates this interest. However, sympathy and interest alone have
not brought about the return of our child.
The situation created by this condition and the activity
generated by the desire to inform the public of the progress being
made, have made it impossible for me to continue negotiations and
comply with the requests of those who hold our child. Unless this
condition is changed I fear that I will never see our baby
I appeal to the public in general and the newspapers and the law
enforcing agencies to discontinue activity which might interfere
with my plans to secure the safe return of our baby.
FERNANDO A. ROBLES.