JOSE GALVEZ / ARIZONA DAILY STAR 1977 - Hushed conversations and the rustling of papers were replaced by silence in the main reading room of the old University of Arizona Library at 1013 E. University Blvd. On Feb. 25, 1977, the building stood empty as its collections had been moved down the street to the new UA library. Construction on the original building was begun in 1924, and cost $475,000. Three subsequent additions to the building brought the square footage up to 97,000, but its library days were over. The Arizona State Museum moved into the space.