Two apartments were destroyed in a fire Wednesday on the city's north side, displacing residents and killing four pets.
Firefighters were dispatched at 5:43 p.m. to the 1200 block of West Roger Road after receiving multiple 911 calls reporting heavy smoke and flames from a second-floor apartment at the complex, said Capt. Barrett Baker of the Tucson Fire Department.
The neighborhood is between North Flowing Wells Road and North Fairview Avenue.
All the residents were out safely when firefighters arrived. Twenty-three firefighters battled the blaze and held it to the two apartments, Baker said.
The fire was under control 22 minutes after the first crews arrived.
Two cats and two guinea pigs were killed in the blaze.
The Southern Arizona Chapter of the American Red Cross assisted 11 residents who were affected by the fire, and several pets. The total residents lived in five apartments.
The fire began in the living room of one apartment because of an electrical malfunction near combustible material, Baker said. A damage estimate has not been determined.