Candle causes fire at midtown Tucson home

2014-03-30T10:22:00Z 2014-03-30T10:47:15Z Candle causes fire at midtown Tucson homeVeronica M. Cruz Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star

A candle caused a fire that damaged a midtown home and displaced one person late Saturday night. 

Tucson Fire Department crews were dispatched to the home in the 4700 block of East Bellevue Street shortly after 10 a.m. and saw flames coming from the windows of a single story house, Capt. Chris Jurvig, an agency spokesman said in a news release. 

The first engine company used hoses to battle the blaze and searched the home for occupants. 

The sole occupant in the house got out safely when the fire started and told firefighters it started when an oil candle was knocked over onto a mattress, the release said. 

A ladder company controlled the utilities and cut a ventilation hole in the roof with a chainsaw to allow smoke and gasses to escape, the release said. 

The fire was under control within 14 minutes. 

Nobody was injured. 

Damage is estimated at $50,000.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About this blog

The Star's public safety reporters comb through police reports, and tell you what you've missed.

Police Beat updates

Featured businesses

View more...

Deals, offers & events

View more...