Charges added in shooting of Tucson cop

2013-02-13T11:37:00Z 2013-02-13T15:05:12Z Charges added in shooting of Tucson copKimberly Matas Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
February 13, 2013 11:37 am  • 

Two felony counts of aggravated assault have been added to the list of charges against a burglary suspect in connection to the November shooting of a police officer.

A Pima County Grand Jury was presented with information related to the shooting earlier this month and determined additional felony charges — aggravated assault with serious injury and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon — were warranted against 29-year-old Richard “Ricky” Mendoza Jr., Sgt. Maria Hawke, spokeswoman for the Tucson Police Department, said in a press release.

Mendoza Jr., who had previously been charged with two counts of first degree burglary and six counts of prohibited possessor of a firearm, is suspected of shooting Sgt. Robert Carpenter Nov. 18.

Carpenter and other officers were responding to a burglary call in midtown when the sergeant was struck in the head by a bullet.

Mendoza Jr., who remains in custody at the Pima County jail, was arrested in connection with the break-in at the home where Carpenter was shot, but he was not, initially, charged in connection with the shooting. A handgun did not turn up in a search of Mendoza’s property, according to a warrant.

Carpenter, a father of two, who was 46 at the time of the shooting, is a 12-year veteran of the Tucson Police Department. He was released from the hospital in December, but has not returned to work.

“He remains in continuing outpatient physical therapy,” Hawke said.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About this blog

The Star's public safety reporters comb through police reports, and tell you what you've missed.

Police Beat updates

Featured businesses

View more...