Cigarette costs Tucson smoker $10,000

2013-06-08T17:32:00Z Cigarette costs Tucson smoker $10,000Kimberly Matas Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
June 08, 2013 5:32 pm  • 

A cigarette improperly disposed of caused almost $10,000 in damage to an east Tucson home Saturday afternoon.

Multiple people called 911 at about 1:30 p.m. to report smoke coming from the roof of a home in the 8500 block of East Ruby Drive between East Golf Links and Stella roads.

When fire crews arrived on scene, the homeowner was trying to extinguish the flames with a garden hose, Capt. Barrett Baker, spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department, said in a news release. As a result, the man was burned on the arm. He was treated at the scene, but did not want to be taken to the hospital.

Though the fire was on the back porch, “flames did spread into the house and crews pulled down the ceiling drywall to extinguish any other flames inside and prevent the fire from spreading further,” Baker said. Firefighters “pulled the hose in through the front door to prevent the fire from spreading further into the home.”

It took nine units and 23 firefighters 12 minutes to control the fire, which started in “a container used to collect cigarette butts that was placed in an exterior corner (and) caught fire, allowing fire to travel up the exterior wall,” Baker said. Damage was estimated at less than $10,000.

Copyright 2015 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About this blog

The Star's public safety reporters comb through police reports, and tell you what you've missed.

What's Hot

Deals, offers & events

View more... newsletters

Sign up for e-mail newsletters

Sports news and blog headlines, delivered nightly.

Midmorning update of local business headlines, daily.

Tucson-area obituaries, daily.

Receive the current day's weather forecast in your email!