Dryer causes fire at east Tucson home

2013-10-11T13:19:00Z Dryer causes fire at east Tucson homeKimberly Matas Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
October 11, 2013 1:19 pm  • 

A fire in a clothes dryer at an eastside home Friday morning caused the resident and her dogs to evacuate.

The woman was doing laundry just before 10 a.m. when the smoke alarm went off. She smelled smoke in the laundry room so she turned off the dryer, cleaned the lint trap and restarted the appliance. When the alarm sounded again, the woman heard popping noises coming from the dryer and saw heavier smoke, Capt. Barrett Baker, spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department, said in a news release.

She closed the door to the laundry room before evacuating the house with her three dogs and calling 911.

When firefighters arrived at the home in the 7700 block of East Edison Street near the intersection of East Tanque Verde and North Pantano roads, they pulled a hose line through the front door and found a fire in the dryer.

“They sprayed a minimal amount of water to extinguish the flames while trying to minimize any water damage,” Baker said.

Crews used thermal imaging cameras to ensure that the fire did not spread to the cabinets above the dryer or the duct work next to the dryer.

“The leading cause of home clothes dryer and washer fires is failure to clean them,” Baker said. “Clean out the lint trap prior to using the dryer and never turn on the dryer before you leave the house.

It took 22 crew members less than five minutes to extinguish the fire.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About this blog

The Star's public safety reporters comb through police reports, and tell you what you've missed.

Police Beat updates

Featured businesses

View more...

Deals, offers & events

View more...

More About Us

Chef Wendy Gauthier is the chef owner of Chef Chic.