Extension cord fire damages Tucson trailer

2013-03-16T20:52:00Z Extension cord fire damages Tucson trailerKimberly Matas Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
March 16, 2013 8:52 pm  • 

A fire caused by a space heater plugged into an extension cord caused $10,000 in damage to a trailer Saturday morning.

Fire crews were called out just before 7:30 a.m. They found smoke and flames coming from a travel trailer parked in the 6000 block of South First Avenue between South Nogales Highway and South Park Avenue. 

An extension cord running from the main house powered the trailer. The fire sparked where the heater was plugged into the cord, Capt. Barrett Baker, spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department, said in a news release.

It took eight units and 23 firefighters seven minutes to control the blaze.

Space heaters account for a third of all home heating fires and 80 percent of all home heating fire deaths, said Baker, who suggested keeping a clear space three feet around all heaters and never using extension cords with space heaters.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About this blog

The Star's public safety reporters comb through police reports, and tell you what you've missed.

Police Beat updates