A family of four was displaced and two cats were killed when a fire broke out in a northwest-side apartment Sunday afternoon. 

Residents of the Cantera Apartments, 3500 W. Orange Grove Road, reported smelling smoke and seeing a fire inside an apartment shortly after 4 p.m., Capt. Adam Goldberg, a Northwest fire spokesman said in a news release. 

When crews arrived they saw flames coming from an upstairs apartment and attacked the blaze from inside the apartment and through the roof. 

Crews found two cats dead inside when they searched the apartment, the release said. 

The family who lives in the apartment, a couple and two young children, were not home at the time of the fire. 

They are been assisted by Northwest Fire District's Community Assistance Program and the Southern Arizona chapter of the Red Cross. 

A couple living in the apartment downstairs was moved for the night because of the smoke. 

The fire was deemed to be accidental and was caused by an electrical issue in the apartment, the release said. 

Comments disabled.