It wasn’t smokin’ hot deals that set off a fire sprinkler Thursday afternoon at a Park Place store, but smoldering luggage.

Firefighters were called just after 1:30 p.m. to the Dillard’s department store at the midtown mall, on East Broadway near South Wilmot Road, after an overhead sprinkler on the second floor went off and people inside the store reported smelling smoke, said Capt. Barrett Baker, spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department.

Crews didn’t see an active fire burning in the store, but found two pieces of luggage in a tall display rack pressed against a florescent bulb in the ceiling. The luggage showed charring, Baker said.

Investigators were unable to determine whether the suitcases were charred because the bulb was installed improperly or because the luggage was pressing against it, Baker said.

The sprinkler directly above the display activated when the luggage began to smolder, Baker said.

Most of the damage caused to the store was from the water, he said.