Flaming couch injures Tucson man

2013-07-05T14:50:00Z 2014-01-29T17:22:08Z Flaming couch injures Tucson manKimberly Matas Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
July 05, 2013 2:50 pm  • 

A man was taken to a Tucson hospital Friday morning with non-life-threatening injuries suffered when he tried to drag a burning couch out of his living room.

Firefighters arrived at the home in the 4600 block of East Timrod Street, near East Broadway and North Swan Road within three minutes of receiving a 911 call just before 10 a.m., Capt. Chris Jurvig, spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department, said in a news release.

“A resident of the home had tried to remove and extinguish a couch that had caught fire in the living room,” Jurvig said. “Fire crews quickly deployed hose lines into the home to attack the fire and search for victims.”

It took 23 firefighters from nine units seven minutes to bring the fire under control.

“Fire crews were able to contain the fire to the room of origin and keep it from spreading throughout the home,” Jurvig said.

The fire was caused by an electrical malfunction and caused an estimated $15,000 in damage.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About this blog

The Star's public safety reporters comb through police reports, and tell you what you've missed.

Police Beat updates

Deals, offers & events

View more...