Improperly discarded cigarette causes mobile home fire

2014-08-06T12:12:00Z 2014-08-06T15:18:36Z Improperly discarded cigarette causes mobile home fireKimberly Matas Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
August 06, 2014 12:12 pm  • 

An improperly discarded cigarette caused a $15,000 mobile home fire on the north side Wednesday morning.

Crews were called just before 10 a.m. to the Leisure Village Mobile Home Park, 1170 W. Wabash Street near the intersection of West Wetmore and North Flowing Wells roads, said Capt. Adam Goldberg, spokesman for the Northwest Fire District.

The fire was started in a bedroom by a carelessly discarded cigarette, Goldberg said. The blaze was confined to the one room.

When firefighters arrived, they found a father and son, who were working at a neighboring, home trying to fight the fire.

They “were alerted to the fire by one of the occupants, broke out a window and used a nearby garden hose to try to keep the flames in check,” Goldberg said.

The two residents and their dogs were able to evacuate the home without injury. The Southern Arizona Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the displaced couple, Goldberg said.

In total, 21 firefighters staffing three engines, a ladder company, a rescue company and support units were dispatched to the first alarm. The first engine arrived within five minutes and had the fire under control within seven minutes, Goldberg said.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About this blog

The Star's public safety reporters comb through police reports, and tell you what you've missed.

Police Beat updates

Deals, offers & events

View more...