Man killed in grocery parking lot is ID’d

A man fatally shot in a Food City parking lot on the city’s south side Saturday night has been identified as Tomas E. Tovar.

Tovar, 36, was shot shortly before 10 p.m. outside the supermarket at 2000 E. Irvington Road, near South Campbell Avenue, said Sgt. Pete Dugan, a Tucson Police Department spokesman.

Homicide detectives ask that anyone with information call 911 or 88-CRIME.

Police responded to a shots-fired call and found Tovar with “obvious signs of gunshot trauma.” Officers administered first aid until Tucson Fire Department paramedics arrived, Dugan said.

Tovar was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Many people were in the parking lot when the shooting occurred, and detectives are searching for a gray or silver Dodge Magnum that was seen leaving the area shortly after the shooting, Dugan said.

Manslaughter charge
filed in fatal crash

A 60-year-old man is facing a manslaughter charge in a crash that killed a woman who was a passenger in a car that was struck by a truck in midtown last month.

David Charles O’Bard was arrested Tuesday and booked into the Pima County jail, said Sgt. Pete Dugan, a Tucson Police Department spokesman.

In addition to manslaughter, O’Bard is facing charges of aggravated driving under the influence, felony criminal damage and two counts of endangerment, Dugan said.

Dorothy Hill, 90, died of complications from her injuries in the March 13 crash that occurred shortly before 11:30 a.m. at East Speedway and North Catalina Avenue, east of North Columbus Boulevard, police said.

O’Bard was driving a 1983 Chevrolet truck north on Catalina and failed to yield at the stop sign at Speedway, causing the crash with a 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser that was traveling west on Speedway, police said.

O’Bard was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, and his passenger — a 55-year-old man — suffered minor injuries and was not hospitalized, police said.

Hill and the driver of the Cruiser, a 72-year-old woman, were taken to a hospital, police said. Hill died on April 22.

During the initial investigation, police said, O’Bard showed signs of intoxication. A DUI investigation was completed, but O’Bard was not arrested that day because of his injuries, police said.

Staff reports