A man received a minor burn while trying to escape from his midtown apartment with a child when a fire broke out Sunday morning. 

Several people called 911 to report a fire in an apartment in the 5100 block of East 29th Street, near South Craycroft Road, around 5:30 a.m., Capt. Chris Jurvig, a Tucson fire spokesman said in a news release. 

When firefighters arrived they saw smoke and flames coming from the window and door of a second floor apartment. 

A man and child were sleeping in the apartment when the fire started and were alerted by a smoke detector, the release said. Both residents evacuated the apartment safely before crews arrived. 

The man received treatment at the scene for a minor burn on his hand. 

About 15 people were evacuated from six nearby apartments. 

It took 26 firefighters 15 minutes to control the blaze which was caused by an electrical malfunction of the heater, the release said. 

Damage is estimated at $100,000. 

The American Red Cross Southern Arizona Chapter is helping the man and child and two other families displaced by the fire.