Trash can fire displaces east Tucson family

2013-05-25T15:04:00Z Trash can fire displaces east Tucson familyKimberly Matas Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
May 25, 2013 3:04 pm  • 

An accidental trash can fire caused $20,000 in damage and forced a family of four out of their east side home.

The first crews arrived just before 10 a.m. today at a home in the 10100 block of Axe Handle Court near East 22nd Street and South Houghton Road, and found flames were already spreading into the attic from an exterior trash can.

“Firefighters knew they had limited time to contain it since fire can double in size every minute,” Capt. Chris Jurvig, spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department, said in a news release.

All seven people in the home, and two dogs, had already evacuated, so “the first arriving fire company made an aggressive interior attack through the garage to attack the fire from the unburned side and cut it off,” Jurvig said, while a “ladder company controlled utilities and set up for horizontal ventilation.”

Fire crews successfully stopped the fire from spreading through the attic. They were able to confine the fire to the exterior and a workout room where it had entered into the structure.

It took 22 firefighters from eight units 15 minutes to bring the blaze under control.

Because the flames damaged electrical circuitry in the attic the power was unable to be restored, two adults, two children and the two dogs were temporarily displaced, Jurvig said.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About this blog

The Star's public safety reporters comb through police reports, and tell you what you've missed.

Police Beat updates

Deals, offers & events

View more...