Candles left unattended started a fire in the bedroom of a second floor apartment late Friday night.
Fire crews were dispatched just after 11 p.m. to a complex in the 3700 block of North Fairview Avenue near West Prince Road after 911 callers reported seeing smoke and flames coming from one of the apartment’s windows, Capt. Barrett Baker, spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department, said in a news release.
“The bedroom was fully involved in flames as the crew enteredm,” Baker said. “The ladder crew on scene cut a hole directly over the bedroom to alleviate the high temperatures and improve the visibility inside. Other crews on scene assisted with evacuation efforts of the nearby apartments to ensure everyone’s safety.”
It took 23 firefighters from nine units 18 minutes to control the blaze.
The apartment’s resident and her cat were displaced due to the fire damage. A family of three living in the apartment below also were displaced due to water damage from fighting the fire, Baker said. He did not have a cost estimate for the damage.