A 50-year-old, disabled Tucson man died early this morning in a northwest side mobile home fire sparked by a cigarette.

The identity of the man has not yet been released pending examination of the body by the Pima County Medical Examiner’s Office and notification of next of kin, Capt. Adam Goldberg, spokesman for the fire district, said.

Crews from the Northwest Fire District responded to the mobile home fire at about 1 a.m. Half of the home, in the 2000 block of West Gardner Lane, between North La Cholla Boulevard and North Romero Road, was already ablaze when firefighters arrived.

“Deputies from the Pima County Sheriff’s Department on patrol in the area arrived just before fire crews and attempted to make entry into the mobile home to check for the victim, but were driven back by the heavy smoke and fire,” Goldberg said.

Neighbors told firefighters the disabled man who lived in the home, was possibly still inside, Goldberg said, so crews entered the burning trailer to search for him.

“Conditions when the crews made entry into the building were extreme with black smoke creating a zero visibility environment and high heat from the flames,” Goldberg said. “A second crew made entry to assist in the primary search as well as a secondary search to check for potential additional victims. The first crew was able to locate the victim near the back bedroom area. No other victims were found in the fire building.”

It took 19 firefighter 25 minutes to bring the fire under control. The mobile home was a total loss, Goldberg said.

The fire was determined to be accidental, he said, caused by a cigarette.