Three north side mobile homes burned Saturday afternoon when a mechanic made a failed attempt to repair a recreational vehicle and the carburetor caught fire.

Multiple people called 911 to report the fast-moving fire at about 4:15 p.m. at 4100 N. Palm Grove Drive near the intersection of West Roger Road and North Fairview Avenue, said Adam Goldberg, spokesman for the Northwest Fire District.

The fire was sparked when a mechanic tried to start the RV. The fire quickly spread to three mobile homes in close proximity, ringing the RV, Goldberg said.

When the first engine arrived four minutes later, “the 24-foot RV was already well-involved in fire and the fire had extended to the singlewide mobile home” to the south of the RV, Goldberg said. Ultimately, that home was a total loss.

The single-wide mobile home was unoccupied, but two others quickly caught fire and the residents had to evacuate.

Two parents and two adult children were displaced when their mobile home to the east of the RV sustained moderate damage, Goldberg said.

The mobile home to the north of the RV sustained damage only to the exterior, but because the fire damaged electrical wiring, the family of seven — two parents and five children — cannot return until it is repaired, Goldberg said.

Damage to all three homes and the RV was estimated to be $60,000.

No one was injured in the blaze, but two dogs — one from each of the occupied mobile homes — ran away during fire suppression efforts, Goldberg said.

Comments disabled.