Tucsonan learns the hard way to keep toilet paper out of the microwave

2013-05-12T00:00:00Z 2014-01-29T17:22:08Z Tucsonan learns the hard way to keep toilet paper out of the microwaveKimberly Matas Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
May 12, 2013 12:00 am  • 

An attempt to salvage a soggy roll of toilet paper will end up costing someone several hundred dollars.

Fire crews were called Saturday afternoon to a Foothills senior living complex in the 1500 block of East River Road when a smoke alarm was triggered, Capt. Barrett Baker, spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department, said.

Someone had put a wet roll of toilet paper in the microwave. It began to burn and filled the apartment with smoke, causing several hundreds dollars in damage.

Between 2006 and 2010 there were about 7,300 structure fires in the United States in which a microwave oven was involved in the ignition, Baker said, citing a statistic from the nonprofit National Fire Protection Association.

Usually, Baker said, when they receive 911 calls involving microwaves, it is because someone was scalded by food. This is the first time he’s heard of a mishap involving a microwave and toilet paper.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About this blog

The Star's public safety reporters comb through police reports, and tell you what you've missed.

Police Beat updates

Featured businesses

View more...

Deals, offers & events

View more...