Unattended grill sparks eastside house fire

2014-06-27T09:51:00Z 2014-06-27T09:52:20Z Unattended grill sparks eastside house fireKimberly Matas Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
June 27, 2014 9:51 am  • 

An unattended grill sparked an eastside house fire Thursday that has left two people displaced.

Multiple 911 calls were made just after 1 a.m. about a fire in the 2400 block of South Bridget Avenue near the intersection of South Harrison and East Golf Links roads. One of the callers was a woman who owned the home.

“The owner stated that she smelled smoke in the house and went to investigate. She saw flames in the back patio area and immediately exited the home and called 911,” Capt. Barrett Baker, spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department, said in a news release. The homeowner told the dispatcher “there was fire everywhere in the back of the house.”

The home was about 25 percent involved with flames when firefighters arrived, Baker said.

Crews pulled hose lines into the house to extinguish the flames. While inside, “firefighters reported the fire had extended into the attic as well, so pike poles were brought inside to pull down the ceiling, enabling water to get into the attic and extinguish the flames,” Baker said. “The ladder crew also cut a hole in the roof to allow the smoke and flames to exit.”

Flames spread to the eaves of a neighboring house, but firefighters quickly extinguished the fire before it could damage the inside of the second home.

It took eight units and 21 firefighters 26 minutes to bring the blaze under control.

The fire was determined to be accidental, sparked by an unattended barbecue grill, said TFD Capt. Chris Jurvig. The blaze caused about $50,000 in damage.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About this blog

The Star's public safety reporters comb through police reports, and tell you what you've missed.

Police Beat updates