Centennial Hall (originally called the University of Arizona Auditorium) on the University of Arizona campus. Photo date unknown. Built by Sundt Construction Inc.

Photo courtesy of Special Collections, University of Arizona Library

1871: The Tucson Police Department is founded with one marshal. At the time, the city of Tucson was one square mile in size, with a population of 3,200 people. Today, the police force has more than 1,000 sworn-in officers responsible for a city of more than 200 square miles and 500,000 people.

1919: Contracts are signed by Pima and Pinal County authorities and the U.S. Forest Service for the construction of a road from Oracle to Soldier's Camp in the Catalina Mountains.

1920: Prominent society and club women start a boycott on potatoes to protest the price. Housewives in Phoenix are called and asked to support the boycott and tell five friends to do the same.

1924: Arizona Gov. George W.P. Hunt rules that California rail passengers may not alight here without a certificate from the Arizona Board of Health because of a quarantine resulting from cattle disease in California.

1937: The Sundt-built University of Arizona Auditorium — now known as Centennial Hall — is dedicated.

Want to share an important event from Tucson's history? Email it to krumore@azstarnet.com.