The Arizona Daily Star Sportsmen’s Fund Send a Kid to Camp program raises money so children from low-income households and military families can attend overnight YMCA, Boy Scout and Girl Scout camps and Camp Tatiyee, for school-age children and older teens with special needs, at little or no cost to their families.
Our goal was to raise $205,000 and send at least 700 local boys and girls to area camps this summer. So far, we’ve received 1,501 donations totaling $216,015, with the extra money sending kids on waiting lists to camp.
From Ken Tucker, Scout executive, Catalina Council, Boy Scouts of America:
“Thank you for all you do for the youth of our community! The summer camp experience is a highlight for our Scouting youth for their entire year of Scouting. Again, thank you!
“We never refuse a young person to attend summer camp for financial reasons. We are very appreciative of the support we receive from the Arizona Daily Star Sportsmen’s Fund to support young people in the Scouting program!”
Scout camp highlights include:
• 2 Cub Scouts attended Cub Scout resident camp.
• 48 Boy Scouts attended Camp Lawton Boy Scout weeklong summer camp on Mt. Lemmon.
• 117 Scouts received program kits at Camp Lawton. This new program gives youth more program options at summer camp and provides the extra supplies needed for pioneering, woodcarving, leathercraft and STEM badges.
• 1 Scout attended weeklong High Adventure camp at Camp Lawton. This new program is aimed at attracting older Boy Scouts to summer camp.
• 4 Boy Scouts will attend weeklong National Youth Leadership Training in December. The program was postponed due to the Burro Fire.
• 7 Venturers attended the Boy Scout National Jamboree in West Virginia. This is a highlight experience for any Scout to attend.
• 7 Boy Scouts attended the Boy Scout National Jamboree in West Virginia.
Since 1947, the Arizona Daily Star Sportsmen’s Fund has helped pay for 38,551 children to go to camp. We’re one of the oldest 501c(3) charities in Arizona and one of the most efficient in our giving, with 97 cents of every dollar going to send kids to camp.
Your contribution qualifies for the Arizona tax credit of up to $800 for donations to qualifying charitable organizations. Donations are welcome throughout the year.
Recent donations include:
Rene Arriaga, $50.
Dr. and Mrs. Wright Cortner, $500.
Theresa Dellheim, $50.
Roy P. Drachman Foundation, $2,398.
Patrick Emslie, $100.
Tom Foust, in memory of Gordon Overstreet, $100.
Pat Hammes, $50.
Agnes Hannley, $50.
H. K. Hendricks, $25.
John and Sheri Karobonik, $200.
Boris and Billie Kozolchyk, $72.
Marilyn Ludwig, in memory of Rudy Castro and Gordon Overstreet, $200.
Bill and Annette Sams, in memory of Marjorie E. Larmour and Irene Sams, $100.
Charles Smith, $100.
Sarah and Peter Terry, $50.