The Arizona Daily Star’s Sportsmen’s Fund Send a Kid to Camp program raises money so children from low-income households and military families can attend overnight YMCA, Boy Scout and Girl Scout camps and Camp Courage burn camp for little or no fees.
We’ve received 1,129 donations totaling $116,959 toward our goal of $190,000 to send 770 kids to weeklong overnight camps this summer. We’re $73,000 shy of our goal with camp underway.
Donations are welcome throughout the year. We are grateful for your donations and continuing our thank-yous today.
Your contribution is tax-deductible, qualifying for the state’s working-poor charitable tax credit of up to $400.
The Sportsmen’s Fund, one of the oldest 501c (3) charities in Southern Arizona, was founded in 1947. Since then, thanks to Arizona Daily Star readers, we have helped to pay for 36,548 children to go to camp.
Recent donations include:
- $200 in honor of Laverne Hawkins, from her children and spouses, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
- Alpha Delta Kappa Psi, $150.
- Judy Askenasy, in memory of Jackie Leivers, $100.
- Susan Bacal, $50.
- Sandy Bowling Sr., $50.
- Terrence Bracy, $400.
- Darlene Bracy, $100.
- W.T. Brown, $50.
- Dolores Christensen, $100.
- Gretchen Collins, $200.
- Nancy Cr, $30.
- Richard Cunningham, $30.
- Theresa Delheim, $50.
- Hannelore Eckert, $100.
- Sondra Fagenson, $200.
- Wiliam and Karen Faust, $150.
- Mike and Julie Feerick, in memory of Jeff Riley and Bob Liening, $50.
- Tom and Karen Ferguson, $400.
- Doris Gerganoff, $100.
- Wendell Graves, in memory of William & Shirley Boughton, $50.
- Judith Gray Brian McCarthy, $100.
- Elizabeth Kanter Groskind, $1,000.
- Harold and Patrica Hacker, $100.
- Kathleen Kennedy, $100.
- Steve Kleinsmith, $75.
- Scott Lee, $25.
- David and Patricia Lucas, $100.
- John Macy, $15.
- Doris Marshall, in memory of Marine Sgt. George Marshall, $100.
- Frances Martin, $15.
- Margaret Moll, $200.
- Timothy O’Connor, $25.
- Philip Prass, $100.
- Gayle Prather, $100.
- Pamela Tobak, $10.
- Judi White Coxon, in memory of Vin Coxon, $100.
- Tom Wied, $100.
- Karen Woodford, $200.
- Greg Ziebell, in memory of Woody Cohen, $50.
- Two $500 anonymous donations, including one in memory of Chick, Bruce, Uncle Lester and Bob Liening.
More donations will be acknowledged in the coming week.