Boy, 5, starts Tucson house fire by playing with candle

2013-04-12T00:00:00Z Boy, 5, starts Tucson house fire by playing with candleKimberly Matas Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
April 12, 2013 12:00 am  • 

A 5-year-old boy playing with a candle set his family's bathroom on fire Wednesday afternoon.

The boy put the candle in a plastic trash can in the bathroom of the home in the 700 block of West Calle Aragon, near South 12th Avenue and West Valencia Road, and it quickly spread to the rest of the bathroom, Capt. Barrett Baker, spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department, said in a press release.

A 63-year-old man trying to extinguish the blaze had to be persuaded to leave the house by a neighbor, Baker said. The man was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters were called just after 12:30 p.m. They found the fire had been extinguished, and they used a thermal-imaging camera to verify that it had not spread into other areas of the home. A damage estimate had yet to be determined, Baker said.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Activate

Most Popular

Follow the Arizona Daily Star

Get weekly ads via e-mail