Cigarette starts fire; damage is $10,000

2013-06-09T00:00:00Z 2013-06-10T14:08:16Z Cigarette starts fire; damage is $10,000Kim Matas Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
June 09, 2013 12:00 am  • 

A cigarette improperly disposed of caused almost $10,000 in damage to an east-side Tucson home Saturday afternoon.

Calls to 911 about 1:30 p.m. reported smoke coming from the roof of a home in the 8500 block of East Ruby Drive between East Golf Links and Stella roads.

When fire crews arrived, the homeowner was trying to extinguish the flames with a garden hose, Capt. Barrett Baker, a spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department, said in a news release. As a result, the man was burned on an arm. He was treated at the scene but did not want to be taken to a hospital.

Though the fire was on the back porch, "flames did spread into the house and crews pulled down the ceiling drywall to extinguish any other flames inside and prevent the fire from spreading further," Baker said. Firefighters "pulled the hose in through the front door to prevent the fire from spreading further into the home."

It took nine units and 23 firefighters 12 minutes to control the fire, which started in "a container used to collect cigarette butts that was placed in an exterior corner (and) caught fire, allowing fire to travel up the exterior wall," Baker said. Damage was estimated at less than $10,000.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Activate

Follow the Arizona Daily Star

Featured businesses

View more...

Deals, offers & events

View more...

Logistics Services? YES! We do that!

Our company provides a selection of quality logistics services…

We Cut Countertops

We cut countertops purchased off the rack at Home Depot or Lo…

Get weekly ads via e-mail