Curling iron causes fire in NW-side mobile home

2013-06-17T00:00:00Z 2013-06-17T08:46:21Z Curling iron causes fire in NW-side mobile homeVeronica M. Cruz Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
June 17, 2013 12:00 am  • 

A curling iron left plugged in on a couch for hours caused a fire to break out and damage a northwest-side mobile home Sunday.

Crews from the Northwest Fire District responded to the home in the 900 block of West Limberlost Drive, near North Oracle Road, shortly after 4 a.m.

Two sisters, ages 10 and 13, were sleeping in the family room and were awakened by heavy smoke that filled the home, Capt. Adam Goldberg, a Northwest Fire spokesman, said in a news release.

The girls woke up their parents, who got their younger sisters, ages 1 and 2, out of the home, Goldberg said.

The older girls had been using a curling iron in a front bedroom around midnight and left it plugged in on a couch, which caused it to smolder and then erupt into flames, Goldberg said. The curling iron did not have an automatic shut-off feature.

The home did not have working smoke detectors.

"I am thankful that they were all able to get out alive, especially in the middle of the night with no smoke detectors and on Father's Day as well," Battalion Chief Scott Draper said in the release.

The fire was under control within eight minutes.

The fire damaged the front of the home and caused heavy smoke damage throughout the home, Goldberg said. Damage is estimated at $5,000.

The Red Cross of Southern Arizona is helping family members with clothing. They will be staying with relatives.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Activate

Follow the Arizona Daily Star

Deals, offers & events

View more...
Get weekly ads via e-mail