Heat made Marana McDonald's workers ill

2013-06-11T00:00:00Z 2013-06-24T11:48:00Z Heat made Marana McDonald's workers illVeronica M. Cruz Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
June 11, 2013 12:00 am  • 

Heat made Marana McDonald's workers ill

Three employees from a McDonald's in Marana who were taken to a hospital Sunday with heat-related symptoms after working in a kitchen with no air-conditioning have been released.

The air-conditioner units have been repaired and the restaurant, at 8349 N. Cortaro Road, near Interstate 10, is open.

Eleven workers suffered from heat-related symptoms while at the restaurant. The high temperature Sunday was 103 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.

The restaurant manager told firefighters the kitchen area had been without air- conditioning for a week because of mechanical issues, said Capt. Adam Goldberg, a Northwest Fire District spokesman.

The remaining eight employees were treated at the scene and released, Goldberg said.

It was determined that all 11 became ill because of the heat, he said.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow the Arizona Daily Star

Get weekly ads via e-mail