One man died and another suffered life-threatening injuries in a Christmas morning house fire on Tucson's east side.

Several people called 9-1-1 about 6:20 a.m. about smoke and flames coming from a house in the 5800 block of East 15th Street, near East Broadway and South Wilmot Road.

When firefighters arrived, they were told two of six people were still inside, said Tucson Fire Capt. Jeff Langejans.

There was fire in every room of the house as firefighters began to search for the two, he said, and firefighters had to tear down wrought-iron bars from the windows.

Firefighters found the two people, who were taken to Tucson hospitals. One died and the other is in critical condition.

It took 25 firefighters 27 minutes to get the fire under control. The firefighters also found two dogs that died in the fire.

The roommates "were living without electricity and using candles for lighting," which most likely was the cause of the fire, Langejans said. They had no smoke detectors.

The fire caused $250,000 in damage to the home.

The American Red Cross Southern Arizona Chapter is helping the survivors with housing, food, clothes and counseling, said spokeswoman Theresa Grant.

Langejans said nearly two-thirds of home fire deaths happen in homes with no smoke alarms or broken smoke alarms. "Having a working smoke alarm can give you the time needed to escape a fire," he said.